Having pain in neck, feels swollen and lump in throat when swallowing. Is it virus or infection related?

I felt pain on my neck on the right side I guess of my windpipe yesterday, wnen I touched my neck I felt swelling and a lump that moves when I swallow . I have been a little run down these few days and am not sure if it is virus or infection related. The back of my neck has been feeling sore for weeks. The area where the lump is at hurts when i cough. I would like to know if I should run to a doctor or just let this run its course.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012