Having my periods. Saw a brown object discharged. Looked something from uterus. Scared, what could it be?

hello i just started my period two weeks late because i am just starting as of like 6 months ago. i usually have my period for a week. and i just started my period yesterday so today is the second day and i just went to the restroom about 40 minutes ago and when i got up to flush i saw a brown object in the toilet and got scared so i tried to look closer. as i looked closer i saw it kind of looked like a tampon but i looked even closer nd realized it definitely as not it is not brown discharge either because i got tweezers and pulled it out to examine it and saw it was an object that looked like something from the uterus that is important. i am scared and unsure what this is. I m sorry this is so disgusting and stuff but i need help! what is this?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jun 2012

Please get an abdominal ultrasound done at the earliest to rule any possibility.

It can be simple blood clot of the endometrial tissue; it can be a retained tampon. It can be anything from a retained gauze piece, worms, any foreign body.

Get an ultrasound done and things should be clear to you and the gynecologist.

Do not panic. All will be fine.

OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
The brown mass like substancve you saw after a delayed period bleeding is likely to be endometrial lining. This is normally shed off with every cycle and then regrows after every cycle. Please do not worry.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal