Having intermittent chest pains, constipation, sore throat. Worried about having ulcer or liver disease

i am a male aged 36 with upper thoracic pains on both sides of the chest. they are intermittent and last for a few minutes. when driving for long journeys 2 or more hours i feel that pain. initially it was also causing constipation and it had an effect of like pushing my lungs up and the pain would subside when i take laxatives( milk of magnesia). i also went to a local doctor and he gave amoxyl tablets the pain disappeared for a while . now two weeks after taking those tablets, the pain is back. sometimes i feel some pain on the muscles between the heart/lungs and the rib cage .
of late i am also having sore throat especially at night and it clears in the morning. checking on some medical websites, its indicating that i might be having gastro problems. i wanted to ask what tests can be done to
1. determine the condition of my heart and lungs apart from x-rays, because last time it did not pick anything wrong with my chest
2. if i have ulcers or liver problems.
thank you for the mouthful.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013

Thank you for the query.

From your description you might have spine problems what seems to be causing your chest pain. It is because the pain is on both sides and is associated with long sitting.
Any other disease which can cause chest pain (like heart issues, acid reflux, gallstones or pancreas inflammation) do not cause constipation. So constipation seems to be separate problem.

So answering your questions:
1. For ischemic heart disease diagnostics you should visit cardiologist and have stress test, Holters 24 hours ECG and heart ultrasound. Stomach issues should be diagnosed with gastroscopy. Gallstones should be easily visible in the abdominal ultrasound
2. Liver does not cause any pain at all. Yes, you may have peptic ulcer.

Spine diseases should be diagnosed with an MRI.
In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee.

Hope this will help.