Having increased urge to urinate. On antibiotics. White particles in urine. Dead bactreria?

I developed serious intensiveness while urinated over this past weekend. After consuming 64 oz. of cranberry juice and 64 oz. of water on Monday, I went to see my doctor yesterday (Tuesday). I provided a urine sample and after testing, he gave me a prescription for Cipro 500 with instructions to take one by mouth twice daily. I took two yesterday, one this morning and will be taking my next one around 7p.m. My question is this: as the antibiotics start working do they cause me to have to increasingly urinate and are the white particles I m seeing in my urine is the dead bacteria? Also, how long can I expect to have increased urination urges?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

You have been diagnosed with a UTI, and thus been prescribed the antibiotic to treat it as well. But I am sure you knew this already.

The white substance you see in your urine is normally seen in patients diagnosed with a UTI, this is most probably pus produced due to the infection.

Now, as the antibiotics start working it should start providing you significant amount of relief from your symptoms, but not result in an increased urge to urinate. You will also require plenty of water, even cranberry juice, and a potassium chloride based solution which will help in neutralizing the effect of the infection and provide symptom relief.

If the right antibiotic is prescribed, patients usually find significant improvement within 24 hours of initiation of treatment. How to find out if your antibiotic is the right one?
A. Urine culture examination (takes 24-48 hours). This test not only confirms the infection, but also identifies the infection-causing organism and provide information on the most suitable antibiotic that can be used to treat you (specifically).

If you do not experience relief within 48 hours of initiation of therapy, it is best to re-visit your doctor and request for a urine culture examination and simultaneously a change in antibiotic.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.