Having hard lump under armpit. Area sore. Will it go down by keeping something hot?

I have a lump under armpit no bigger than a ping pong ball. It s under the skin it s hard and I think it moves a little but I can t try to move it to much cause it hurts. I ve had it for a couple of days but it s never stung like it does now. The area around it is very sore. My dad says he gets them a lot and the doctor said to leave something hot on it and the swelling will go down.I m just aking to make sure this is accurate.
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012