Having frequent loose stools sometimes accompanied by blood. What could this be?

My husband has been having loose stools for more than 2 weeks now. Sometimes there is blood in the tissue after wiping. There was a similar incident a month ago for about a week and it was normal after that and one more a year ago, where the stool samples were tested and they ruled out anything harmful. The doctor said it was probably some minor infection. We are not sure what is causing this again. The frequency of the stools is about 3-4 times a day, sometimes without any blood. We are having a tough time getting an appointment with a gastroentologist here. The general physician examined the rectum and said blood is not originating from there and might be coming from inside and referred us to a gastroentologist. We still have no luck getting an appointment with the gastroentologist. We should, mostly next week. I am beginning to get worried and anxious. Is it okay to wait? My husband is not experiencing any fatigue or abdominal pain . But ofcourse this is affecting his normal life. The general physician did not suggest any change in diet . We are sticking to light, non fatty, vegetarian diet. Please advise what can be done to mitigate the condition. Are there certain foods that can make it worse? And till when should we wait before we can call the emergency? How bad does this sound? What kind of inputs should we give the gastroentologist when we meet him?
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012