Having diarrhea, water stools 4-5 times since 3 days. No other symptoms. How long will this last?

I started having watery diarrhea tuesday evening and it is friday now. I still go 4 or 5 times a day and it is watery stool . i have no other symptoms i.e no fever , normal temperature , no cramps or stomach pain , no blood on the stool and never vomited. i am drinking lots of fluids to keep myself hydrated and eating soft food. how long will this last as it has already been 3 days
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Welcome to HCM.
Based on the information provided you seem to be suffering from viral gastroenteritis( rota virus is the most common cause).

As you dont have any fever, pain abdomen or blood in stools the bacterial cause of diarrhoea can be ruled out and you dont need any antibiotics.

Viral gastro enteritis usually subsides on its own with in 3-5 days. Maintaining hydration is important.
Using Sporlac powder ( available over the counter)thrice a day for 3to 5 days should help you.
Usning antibiotics like ofloxocin and ornidazole will also help ( not required in your case as these are used in bacterial gastro enteritis
In case if the motions persist for more than 7 days, then the alternate diagnosis has to be made like irritable bowel syndrome or other forms of secretory diarrhoea by getting stool examination done ( hope you dont require these).

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sai Rajesh