Having cough, chills, aches, fatigue, headache and fever. Treatment?

We are vacationing at Walt Disney World. My husband woke up with sudden onset symptoms of coughing, chills, aches, fatigue , headache . . Don t think he s running a fever. Going back home tomorrow.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Mar 2012
Welcome to HCM!

I have gone through the question carefully and from my clinical experience I can say that your husband has developed respiratory tract infection, and even though he dosent have fever presently, it is highly likely that he develop it in some hours.

if I had been treating him , I would give him paracetamol 500 mg, three time a day, this will take care of malaise, aches, fatigue and headache, and cetrizine to combact any allergic component. For cough, if it is productive, he needs an antibiotic. If it is dry cough , on gets relief with cough syrups, but be sue he dosent drive after taking cetrizine Or cough syrup, as they may cause sedation.

For productive cough, I have seen good response with amoxicillin- Clavulanic acid 625 mg, twice a day.

He should try to avoid going near to others, as the infection is highly contagious.

Please start the treatment and as soon as you reach home, see a doctor if necessary.

Hope the reply is helpful

feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Manisha Gopal.