Having cold, mixture of blood and water coming out of ear, Blown nose hardly. Related?

My wife has had a cold since Monday...She first had running nose and had to blow her nose a lot..She then got fever and got alot of headache. Last night she then got alot of pain in the ear...As well this morning the pain was there and liquid started to come out of the ear....We got a doctor to come by and he gave her pain killer (including paracetamol) and antibiotic. I just want to be sure that she got the right things...It is a mixture of blood and water coming out of the ear...I have a feeling that she has blown her nose too much...She really blows her nose a lot...Can this be the problem?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013