Having chest infection, coughing green phlegm, breathlessness, weightloss, loss of apetite. Took medicines, some improvement, fatigue persists. Suggestions?

My dad has had a chest infection and has been coughing up green gunge this started appox 15th Nov and was steadly getting worse, on the 22nd Nov he got 7 days supply of amoxicillin and which didn t do anything as he was getting breathless and was finding it hard to walk up the stairs, he has lost almost a stone in weight, no apitite and was finding it hard to get out of bed. We went to his gp and he was admited to hospital with suspected pneumona last thurs, they did blood tests and a chest xray which came back ok, they also checked him out for blood clots and did a chest and abdo scan. He was discharged on friday and was given doxcylin to take 7 x 1 per day. He is now starting to eat very small amounts and is drinking plenty but he is still complaining of having no energy and is also finding it extremly difficult to get out of bed especially in the morning. My dad is a 71 year old guy who is normally fit and well, this has completley knocked him for 6. Can you please help? Wendy
Asked On : Thu, 6 Dec 2012