Having a posterior annular disc tear. Could it be due to the long hours of sitting?

Hi is a posterior annular disc tear in the L5-S1 worst than a torn tendon? I was a customer service rep for 17 years, sitting at my desk for 8 hours (the 8 hours was mandatory to meet my daily statistics) could the 17 years of sitting have caused the torn disc? and if the torn disc resulted from being a customer service rep for 17 years if i went back to work will the tear reoccur. thanks for your time.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Discs do undergo degenerative changes with age and may be difficult to pin point it to the 'sitting at desk for 8 hours'. However sometimes abnormal postures while sitting at desk pose excessive strain on the vertebrae which can and should be avoided. The tear takes some time to heal and you can go back to work. once it has torn there remains a possibility of it recurring irrespective of the job that you do. Learn some physiotherapy, avoid unhealthy postures and everything should be fine.
Good luck.
Acupressure Specialist Dr. A.K.Sangal,M.D (Acu.&Mag.)'s  Response
yes , it is due to long hour sitting. , in night time umay use south pole of med. power magnet for an hour daily to reduce pain in disc.