Having Cubic Zirconia crowns on molars. It is cracking and breaking constantly. What should I do?

I have had cubic zirconia crowns put on a couple molars over the past 3 years or so. I have had nothing but trouble...cracking, breaking, chipping of least 3 times!! this morning, the crown i had fitted one year ago just cracked/broke. So I am going in to see him this afternoon. I was told its under warranty. I have a new dentist now because my insurance recently changed.
Should i be looking into getting a different kind of material?
The dentist said he recommended the expensive crowns because i have an immune system health issue. Is he just trying to make more $$?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for aksing the query,

Chipping and breaking of the zirconia crown occurs when your biting forces are high.
I would suggest you to visit the Prosthodontist and look for a full ceramic or metal fused to ceramic crown, discuss with your Dentist about the treatment options.
Zirconia crowns does not have any relation with your immune system so you can definately think of different treatment options.
Maintain a good oral hygiene use antiseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm forum,
Breaking /chipping of crowns are common while heavy biting forces are applied.
You can ask for full ceramic or metal fused to porcelain crowns for high strength.
Zirconia crowns has nothing to do with your immune system.
So please do consult a dentist and go for a long lasting treatments done.
Meanwhile maintain good oral hygiene.
Visit your dentist in every 6 months.
Use soft-interdental toothbrush to clean your teeth.
Hope this helps.
Hello dear
Welcome to HCM forum.
Chipping of zirconia crown is quiet possible if your biting forces are very high.You should consult your dentist and tell him to place metal fused to porcilain crown or a monolithic crown.Definately a zirconia crown is costlier than PFM.
Rest zirconia crown is nothing to do with immune system.
Dr. Amit k. Gaba

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

zirconia crowns have nothing to do with the immune system of a person.

Chipping and cracking of zirconia crown sis quiet possible if your biting forces are very high and the bite is improper.

you can go for full ceramic crowns or metal fused to porcelain crowns for high strength which resists the biting forces better then zirconia.

i would suggest you to visit your prosthodontist and discuss about these materials for prosthetic crown preparation and go for it .

maintain good oral hygiene.

i hope this helps ,

take care.