Have white, painful bump on veins under the tongue. What is the cause?

What is the cause of white, painful bump on one of the veins under the tongue ? I have this painful, white bump under my tongue in one of the veins. It started about one week ago, some days its smaller, but its bigger again the next morning. This morning I also saw three tiny white bumps on the same side of the tongue. I wanted to know what is the cause/reason behind those two things before I go to a doctor.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Thanks for the query. Extremely difficult to give a specific diagnosis without looking at a picture of the lesions, but potential causes could be aphtous ulcers (canker sores), herpetic ulcers (cold sore inside the mouth), mucoid cysts, among others.

Indeed, you need to see a physician who can directly assess the lesions and determine if a diagnosis is possible just by inspection and history.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN