Have white coating on tongue and nasal condition. What is it?

i visited my gp yesterday for a nasal condition, when he was examining me he asked me to stick my tounge out, it has a white coating on it and asked how long did i have it, i said i have allways had a white coating on it but never asked me anything else about it or told me what might be the cause, later on in the day i started to look at it more closely and it was whiter than i thought it was and i have a funnysort of a sting on it what could it be. George
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013