Have tweaked knee, painful, straightening impossible, had repeated knee injury with lateral meniscus tear. Advised biopsy. MRI?

I injured my knee 2 years ago with a possible lateral meniscus tear, and repeated the injury 3 more times over a year. I have had little to no pain for the last year until last night, sitting on the couch, i tweaked my knee somehow and it is worse than ever. I cant straighten my knee and its very painful and aching. I saw a specialist today, and after touching my knee for a few seconds decided he wanted to do a biopsy. Is he right in skipping an MRI and moving right into cutting into my knee? I had xrays done at a seperate location beforehand and he didnt even look at them, though i know xrays are only good for bone and not soft tissue, it concerns me. Should he move right into a biopsy with no noninvasive imaging first?
Thanks, Liam
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013