Have tight shoulders, numb fingers. Taking Prefest. Got osteopenia, reaction to prolia

I have been on Prefest for 12 to 13 years. I started taking it when I couldn t roll up...stiff as a board I was and had dizzy spells. My shoulders and neck were so tight...within 3 days. I asked my gynecologist how to get off the Prefest ....he told me to take it every other day. On October 11 he said to go on it every third day. I have osteopenia, and had a reaction to Prolia 1 and 1/2 years ago. I use 2 canes to walk. My shoulders are tight and my fingers are numb 1/3 of the way up on the finger. My number is 402-326-2706 and my name is Margo. Can you help? If you can email me and let me know. Thank You!
Asked On : Fri, 18 Oct 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the description of symptoms, I am of the opinion that you suffer from CERVICAL DISC DISEASE with RADICULOPATHY, wherein a protruding cervical disc might be pressing over the nerve root causing numbness in the fingers and pain in the shoulders and neck region.

An MRI scan of the cervical spine is needed to know the severity of the problem.

The general treatment guidelines for this condition includes -

Soft Collar: Soft collar allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pinching of nerve roots with movement. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time, because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles.

Medicines: Analgesic are needed in the acute phase. Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasms once the acute pain subsides. Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE (activated Vit B12) or PREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain.

Cervical traction: may enlarge the disc space, permitting the prolapse to subside. Intermittent cervical traction for not more than 30 minutes at a time.

Physiotherapy: Once the acute phase of pain has subsided, Isometric strengthening exercises of the paravertebral muscles are started. Improving neck strength and flexibility with simple exercises may lessen discomfort and pain. Moist heat can be useful

Epidural steroids: are useful for patients with severe radicular pains in the limbs. Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory preparation and so its injections in the "epidural space" can decrease swelling as well as pain.

If the symptoms do not resolve with the above measures, consult an orthosurgeon and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day