Have tender, heavy breasts, darker areola, delayed periods with spotting. Did pregnancy test. What is it?

Hi last month my period was 3 days late only to get very light brown spotting that lasted 2days (approx 3weeks ago) two weeks ago my breast became tender to touch on the outside this has subsided but i have noticed my areolas are gettin visibly darker and bigger they also feel much heavier and are getting bigger as the days pass, i did a hpt 2 days ago at tea time which came back neg, what could it possibly be ?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013