Have swollen hands and ankle. Have frequent numbness in arm and fingers. What could the reason for this?

Hi my name is Lisa and I'm 44 y/o. For about the past year and half, my pinky and ring fingers on my left hand and my lower left arm (from elbow down) will occasionally go numb for a few minutes and then the numbness goes away!! The last few months it has been happening more frequently and a couple of times my left upper side has gone numb. For about the past week my hands and ankles have been swelling (don't know if its related). Do you know what may be causing the numbness?
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013