Have swollen area in jaw. Diagnosed as pocket of air. Had tooth extracted. Normal?

My dentist recently did a wisdom tooth extraction of lower impacted molars. Sutures are good, no possibility of dry socket. He saw me today at the golf course (he is one of my members) and my left lower jaw is still swollen. Feels like a tight area of tissue in my lower jaw/cheek, about golf ball sized. He says that it is a pocket of air, that I can push out and it will make a fart noise through the suture area. So I ve made it home, and I ve attempted to push from outside, pinch from both sides, and flat palm push it, and nothing is coming out. No movement. It feels like a solid ball of something, not air. 1. Is this common to get? Air getting into the area beneath the gum in a pocket after wisdom teeth extraction? 2. Is it really something I can push out? Why, if so, is it not escaping from my suture area? What can I do to help it get out? 3. Should I be concerned? *note* Dentist said he would see me on Monday to put a needle in and extract the air himself if I was unable to get it out.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013