Have swelling and bumps in legs and hands. Have edema. No medication till now. What can it be?

My 93 year old mother has edema. Her legs swell bad during the day. In the last two months these hard purple bumps have appeared behind her left leg.There are about a dozen of them. She has acouple on her left are by the elbow and one between her thumb and index finger. This is not a rash. They are raised with no head on them.

I took her to my internist today and he is stumped! Do you have any idea what they are?

Thank you, Cyndy
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013