Have sunburn on feet. Red with purple patches. Given cold compresses and ibuprofen. When to seek medical help and what else to do?

Hi, my 18-yr-old son has a sunburn on his feet. We are vacationing in Florida and he neglected to put sunblock on his feet while walking the beach for a long period of time. This occurred yesterday. Today they are red with some purple patches on them. The purple patches are about 1.5 inches x 2.5 inches in kind of a rectangular patch on each foot. We are doing cold compresses and ibuprofen. Is there anything else we should be doing? And at what point should we seek medical attention?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013