Have sudden severe stabbing pain around rib cage. No medication. What is the cure for this?

I sometimes get a very sharp sudden stabbing pain just around where my rib cage is, I can't remember what side it was on the last time but it happened tonight and it was on the left side. It is very sudden with no warning and very sharp, takes my breath away and then I can't take in a good breath for a couple of seconds without it hurting again - the whole things only ever lasts a couple of seconds....
I am a 32 yo female, otherwise slim and healthy as far as I know. Have had it happen here and there for years.
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
its of utmost importance to know exactly why you experienced this sensation. It would interesting to know whether this is the first time you are experiencing this sensation or not. What actually triggered if , if you could recall or what other signs and symptoms were noticed, before, during and after the stabbing sensation. Also knowing how long it lasted could be very important. A chest X ray could be very useful, coupled to a clinical evaluation. I suggest you visit your primary physician for a review and further testing if necessary.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.