Have stomach pain. Endoscopy shows mucosal prolapse through lax cardia. What does it mean?

Hi,I have just had an endoscopy for stomach pains and although the hospital said the result was normal,in the advice/comments on the report they have given me it says...... There is a mucosal prolapse trough lax cardia otherwise normal endoscopy to the second part of the duodenum . (Not sure if the word trough is a misspelling on their part).The hospital didnt explain this to me and I would be grateful if you could.Thankyou in advance. Michael
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Michael thanks for your question.

Your upper G I endoscopy report is normal,that is good news.

Stomach has different parst and part of stomach which joins with lower end of esophagus that is food pipe is called cardiac end commonly called as cardia,The lower end of esophagus has a sphinter which prevent gastric content and mucosa of stomach passing from stomach ino esophagus and when this sphinter is loose content of stomach and/or its mucosa pass into esophagus producing symptoms of pain and burning.There are ways to increase tone of this sphinter which you can discess with your physician.This is benign treatable condition,so nothing to worry .

Hope this answers your question.