Have shingles, redness in shoulder and back, bleeding, dry skin, scabs. What could be wrong?

Hi, I have had an area affected on my back that I have gone in 3 times to see my doctor over, for 5 weeks and 3 days now....and many of the symptoms and steps seem to point to a form of Shingles, but the area has not dissappeared as most websites says Shingles will in 2-4 weeks. Day 1-3 it was a raised red area on my back/shoulder blade about the size of a half dollar, or silver dollar coin with 4 or 5 red dots. Day 3 I went in and my doctor said he thought it was spider or insect bites and prescribed a steroid cream. I didn't get oozing or bleeeding but the 4 areas-dots did widen and turn into dark scabs that remained for about 2 -3 more weeks. I went back at week 3 and my doctor said he thought it was now Shingles (but it was not a big area or super painful (only about an inch and 1/4 to inch 1/2 diameter and just slightly stingy/achey). He thought the scabs were healing and felt it would fully go away. I saw him again yesterday (week 5) and they seem to slowly, slowly get better but still have red around the 4 spots, the scabs are mostly gone, just thin, light , dry skin scabs. He ordered a biopsy next week just in case and asked a Dematologist about it. *What would cause something that seemed most like Shingles to take so long to heal, and only be about 50% reduced/ gone after 5 weeks? THanks, just trying to get multiple opinions/ thoughts.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013