Have sharp pain, lump in thigh, healing bruise,after fall, used RICE method. Apply heat to dissapate?

I fell down the stairs a couple of weeks ago. I received an enormous dark purple, almost black bruise on my back thigh. For the first 6 hours I did nothing, but later my leg was KILLING me so I looked it up and started to treat it with the R.I.C.E. method. The bruise is going away nicely, but I still have sharp pains and aching every now and then. I feel a lump in my thigh. Should I start applying heat to help dissapate the hematoma? Or continue with the RICE method?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013