Have shaking of hands. No medication as off now. What tests should be done? Is it parkinsons?

Hello sir I I am a 34 year old guy and have been expericing slight shaking in my hands from last two months , the shaking aggravates when I pick up some object like I use the phone . I also experience it when I wake up in the morning . i read some reviews on the net regarding shaking in hands and it all suggest that it is early sign of parkinsons . i am in a remote place in Africa so pls. kindly suggest tests to confirm the problem I have and medicine I can go for ........ Thanks in advance ...
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
The causes of hand tremors are numerous and need not be only due to Parkinsons disease.
Few causes of Hand tremors -
* Neurological disorders like stroke, multiple sclerosis, parkinsons
* Medical conditions like Alchohol withdrawal, liver and thyroid disorders
* Stress, fatigue , anxiety ,Hypoglycemia , over use of caffienated drinks

Basically, tremors are of 3 types -
* Resting tremor - It is maximal at rest and decreases with activity and is typical of parkinsonism ( your symptoms are exactly the reverse of this with increased shaking with activity, so parkinsonism can be ruled out in your case )
* Postural tremor - is maximum when limb position is maintained against gravity and commonly seen in metabolic disorders like hyperthyroidism and due to stress also.
* Intentional tremor - most prominent during voluntary movement towards a particular target and is not present at rest. This is a sign of cerebellar disease. I suspect this in you.

So, I suggest you to visit a neurophysician and get a detailed evaluation done.
Hope this helps

Pediatrician Dr. Imraan Hussain 's  Response
thanks for your query
i can feel your concerns
i advise you to have thyroid function test and complete blood picture.
i would like to know if you have any family history of parkinsonism

wishing you good health