Have prolapsed wall at rear of vagina, difficulty passing stools

Hi, I am 52 yrs old and have prolapsed wall at the rear of my vagina . This makes it difficult for me to pass motions and when I can t do any more it feels as though there should be more to come and my anus is still open. I also frequently bleed when passing motions so my anus staying open means I can continue to bleed after leaving the toilet.
Asked On : Wed, 1 Aug 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

I understand your problem and this is very common.

This condition is called rectocele and happens due to trauma faced during child birth or loss of hormonal support in peri menopausal age.

The final treatment for this is a repair by surgery and gives excellent results in skilled hands. So you must discuss this with your doctor.
Meanwhile use stool softeners like syrup duphalac or isaphagula husk at night with plenty of water. Eat plenty of fruits and green vegetables. For the anal tear and bleeding pour some warm water in a basin and add few drops antiseptic and sit in it. This is called sitz bath and is very helpful. Use of lignocaine ointment on the anus half an hour before passing stool also helps and can be taken after prescription. Slight pressure on the vagina with a finger also helps to break the stools and release them.

I know that you are in pain but this can be treated easily. Do not worry.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist