Have post traumatic injuries with multiple surgeries on legs. Why does swelling not subside?

Im a 35 yr old female , 10 years post traumatic injuries with multiple orthopedic surgery s to my legs.. .. I usually don t have a lot of swelling unless my activity level has been too high.. The last week however I have had a lot of unexplained swelling in my feet and lower legs. to the point I felt like my feet were going to pop.. The top of one foot is very sore to touch as though it were bruised but no noticeable discoloration.. The swelling was the severe (worse I seen yet) last night but has gone down a lot over night .. Now this morning but I woke up with an unexplained large painful bruise ( black and purple in color) on the back of the other leg , just above the inner knee .. I have not injured or even bumped this area .. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012