Have plantar-fascitis, doing exercises, have dependent edema in legs. Still pain in heel

Hi I am 63yrs old, I have plantar-fascitis, which I have exercises to do,changed my footwear according to the podiatrist. I also have dependent oedema in my legs and ankles. I have been prescribed support stockings . what i would like to know is firstly i exercise and also rest my feet as advised. It is now 4 weeks from being diagnosed and I am still getting lot of pain in my heel. my ankles are not as swollen but my feet feel itchy. Sometimes they itch I cant sleep for it. any advise or do i stick it out. Does oedema go away eventually or not.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jun 2012
To answer you last question first it depends on the cause of the oedema in your legs as to whether or not it will go away.

Plantar fascitis is a common and annoying problem that is difficult to treat. It sounds like you are doing the right things. An anti-inflammatory medication might also help. Putting a bottle of water in the fridge and rolling your foot over this particularly over the sore area when your sitting to try and stretch out the plantar fascia can help. Physiotherapy can help in showing you the correct type of excerises for this condition, they will also sometimes give you ultrasound therapy. in very resistant cases an injection of local anaesthetic and steroid into the origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone can help but his is quite painful unless you have a general anaesthetic. very rarely would one need a surgical release of the plantar fascia to deal with the pain.