Have phlegm stuck in windpipe and shallow breathing. Have cold. Remedy?

Hi, I have a cold/ flu , don t know. I have lots of thick phlegm in my lungs, it seems, and when I coughed a little an hour ago, the phlegm almost blocked my windpipe, It was terrifying. Somehow I managed to pull some air through the blockage but am breathing in a shallow way now and fearing the worst as I there is still phegm stuck in my windpipe, I can feel it. I ve been in this situation before , a few times in my life, but this time the phlegm is unusually thick and doesn t seem to want to move. Please advise me. Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013