Have petit mal seizures. Have sinus cold after taking medicine. How long does increased dosage take to work?

Hello My 19 yer old daughter started having petite mal seizures in her sleep but no every day, her Dr prescribed to start with 2 500 mg a day 4 months ago. Reently she came down with a bad sinus cold, and she had a petite mal seizure in her sleep for 3 nights, Dr said when you are sick your chemistry is off he upped her meds to 1500 mg a day started this 2 days ago, but she had a mild seizure 20 seconds last night, How long does the increaswed meds take to work, and is it because of her cold?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013