Have paining knees, advised knee brace, physio therapy, told platella not growing right. Cause?

Hi, I am 21 years old and have suffered with pain on my knees. Both knees hurt but the left one hurts the most. It is a sharp pain around and right on my knee cap, a doctor has told me 5 years to wear a knee brace, go to physical therapy and that my patella wasn't growing in the right position...this past week, my knees started hurting more than it used to before, but the doctors haven't given me an actual diagnoses, what could be causing this pain?
growing in the right position,
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013