Have pain walking, relieves when leg elevated. Had fractured fibula. Had partial cast with fibre glass over. Recovering?

Hi I am a 49 yr old female and 4 weeks ago I fractured my left fibula just above the ankle (diagonal complete break. I was kept in hospital and was meant to have surgery the following day but the consultant decided to leave it in the partial cast for 2 weeks then it was re x-rayed and as there had been no movement a fibre glass cast was put over the top of the plaster, he told me to wait 2 weeks then I could gradually start putting weight on it which I did 2 days ago. Since putting weight on it (only a little with crutches) I have some pain when walking but when I rest it again I have a burning ache/pain around my ankle and up the outer side of my shin almost to my knee! This only subsides if I keep my leg elevated and completely still. I have an appointment with the consultant 6 days time and I feel reluctant to continue bearing weight on it in case I am doing any damage!! Is this just normal in the recovery process of a broken leg??
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013