Have pain side of back. Took ibuprofen, hot and cold packs. Feel ribcage shifted, hourglass shape. What happened?

Hi there. Yesterday I was playing football and I kicked the ball, but with poor technique. By this I mean my arms were flung around. I instantly felt a pain in the middle left side of my back. An hour later this pain increased tremendously. I too ibuprofen and applied ice and heat to my back. However, last night i took off my top and saw that my body was unevenly shaped. by this i mean my left side seem straigter than norman, and my right side was in a hourglass shape, alot more indented than normal. This morning I found the pain had reduced significantly however it still hurts. My main concern is that my body shape is still abnormal. It feels as if my ribcage has shifted to the left side, as I can feel my ribcage pointing out slightly on my left side and it is in a bit on my right. It still looks like an hourglass on the right side and this is of real concern to me. If you could tell me what has happened I would be appreciate it immensely.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
I don't think you will have done any serious damage to your back. It is likely that you strained your muscles and, although, you say the pain has improved, there is still some muscle spasm. This will cause your back/abdominal area to look different to the other side. It is likely to right itself over the coming days.