Have pain in wrist and ankle. X-ray is fine. History of brittle bones. Advice?

Hi, I have had, for years now, a lot of pain in my wrists. I have ignored it but I have noticed that in the last year or so i struggle to open a bottle, jar, even to turn a tap on. sometimes the pain is so bad and I use various wrist support bandages etc and that gives me some relief. Lately my ankles are hurting so much I keep twisting my feet and almost falling on the floor with the pain. High Heels are no more an option, coming dwon the stairs sometimes can take a long time. I am only 40 years old. I want to beat this, I joined martial arts & kickboxing hoping to strengthen the muscles around my joints. I dont want to accept this, I want this to stop. Few months ago I had an xray of my right wrist but it all looked fine. Might be worth mentioning that both my sisters (they are twins) also suffer from similar and my mum has britle bones (she broke her hand 3 times in the last 6 years). What s your view and what do you suggest I need to do? Many thanks JP
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
The pain in the joints that you are feeling could be due to a vitamin D3 deficiency or osteoporotic changes in these joints. Taking adequate supplements after consulting an orthopedician will help.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal