Have pain in leg and back. Have scitica nerve pain. No medication till now. What to do?

My family dr has referred me to a specialist for sciatica nerve pain in my right leg. However he did not prescribe any medication for pain and nothing to help the movement of my leg Am unable toleep in bed and have limited movement of my back. Am unable to even do light household chores, and can only walk about 25 paces before pain and limping set in . When this happens have to stop and rest or sit down to relieve a small portion of the pain. Is there anythong I can do to help the pain subside and be able to function ?
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013