Have pain and swelling in the ankle. Had a injury earlier. Can it be a fracture?

A week ago I injured my ankle...stepped into a hole in the yard an foot rolled inward and I went down on the foot.
I immediately iced, elevated and rested. Did this or about 5-7days thinking it was just sprained and would heal soon. It had some minor swelling and hardly no bruising...I can put some weight on foot, but very painful.
Now, a week seems to be getting worse. Pain is more intense, it radiates to top of foot, and toes are numb. Still no swelling or bruising. I have it in a boot that I used when I broke a foot years ago...have not seen a doctor or had an x-ray yet...thinking it's just a sprain and will heal with time. Now, my concerns are it may be fractured, and I don't want it to heal "wrong". What do you think? Sorry...not aware there was a cost to get an answer...cannot afford it! Thanks anyway.
Sincerely, Jerome Smith.

Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013