Have numbness in toes, nerve damage in knees, toenail detaching from nail bed. What is wrong?

When doing my pedicure, I noticed my middle toe nail on my right foot is separating from the nail bed. I am very clean and keep my nails in good shape. I do keep them polished and nicely trimmed. I am not diabetic, but I have been through some nerve conduction tests as of late due to mild numbness in my toes and outside arch. One result was (which I am not confident in) nerve damage in my knee. Any ideas as to why my toenail may be detaching from my nail bed?? It does appear to be a bit thicker than my other nails but it is not discolored as in a fungus.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013