Have multiple comorbidities with compartment syndrome. Swelling due to water retention. Suggest

My name is Tamara. I am a 32 year old white female with class V membraneous lupus nephritis. I also have multiple comorbidities including compartment syndrome in my lower extremeties with gross edema. Recently, I have had boughts of severe swelling that results in massive water retention, to the extent of 40 pounds gained in less than a month. While kidney function is fine during this increase and I can eventually pull off the fluid with crazy diuretic therapy, after the output, it seems that all of my muscles from mid calf to ankle are now hardened and very tender to touch. I have waited several weeks in the hopes that the tissue would return to normal, but no avail. What could have caused this, what condition is this called, and is there any way to reverse this as it is very painful (I doubt there is in my experience *I am an RN who's specialty is Renal Transplant/Nephrology* ). Any information regarding this would be very much appreciated so that I can continue on this side. That you! Tamara.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013