Have mitral valve prolapse and autonomic dysfunction. Neck pain, cramping. Stiff neck related to heart?

Hi, I have been diagnosed Mitral Valve Porlapse and Autonomic Dysfunction. I have seen both my family dr and contacted my cardiologist . I have a follow-up in 3 days from wearing a holter monitor . I have had an upper respiratory infection that has been difficult to get over and makes me feel even worse than usual. I have been having pain in my neck, and actually felt cramping in my heart one evening. Could the stiff neck be related to my heart at all? I am on antibiotics and steroids. I actually have been having a head rush/pounding feeling too, which is not normal for me. Usually upon standing my BP will drop. I feel like my condition gives me a constant struggle, yet drs act like it is nothing. It can be so frustrating, and now things are different. Your toughts?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013
Cardiac Surgeon 's  Response
I would like to know the severity of mitral valve leak(mitral regurgitation) because of MVP. Autonomic dysfunction is very common with MVP.
although sudden severe chest pains are common symptoms with MVP, it is rare to have neck stiffness. It would be because of some other problem. An antispasmodic can help you in that matter. When you have secondary infections like flu, your symptoms may get aggravated. It will settle as it is temporary. Postural hypotension is common association because of autonomic dysfunction.
A beta blocker may be helpful for you.
Cardiologist Dr. Johann Christopher's  Response
autonimic dysfunction is difficult to treat! increase your water and salt. start yoga it will help and as a last resort start tab fludrocortisone 12.5mg once daily.