Have metal plates in face due to car accident. Do they need replacing?

My partner has metal plates in his face due to a serious car accident that happened 20 years ago, do they ever need replacing? Can (after a certain amount of time) they become infected, they are located under his right eye, sometimes they get cold , can they also effect his immune system? As he has been suffering with boils over the past year, the first one was in his right nostral.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
July 2014
thanks for your query, i have gone through your question, the plates need not to be removed unless it troubles... if it gets infected then you can go for removal of the plates..if it is asymptomatic nothing to worry..
i hope my answer will help you.. take care