Have manic phases, drinking problem. Using marijuana. Should I take medicine?

I think I have symptoms of bipolar, but for the most part it is not a negative force in my life (depressive periods can suck, but they are not debilitating). The more manic phases are generally quite enjoyable and I enjoy an enhanced level of insight (though I have to consciously keep focus at times, similar to what I imagine ADHD sufferer's go through). I also have a drinking problem (especially when feeling manic), but I am completely functional and generally happy. I have recently found that marijuana use might be more negative than alcohol use for my emotional/mental behaviour. Would you advise medicating a patient with these symptoms who is functional, generally happy, but aware sometimes that my brain is operating differently at times?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013