Have lung cancer, emphysema and copd. Life span for the disease?

I just received a call from my sister whose husband has lung cancer , emphysema and copd . He chose not to take any measures to prolong his life. Last night, he had a dream that he was cured and now he wants to check into some options. His energy and appetite have increased the past couple of days. He is on a 3 day pain patch at present. I have heard that a person in this situation can rally back and think there is hope when it could very well be the end getting near. His diagnosis gave him until the end of the year to live; this was in July.
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012