Have lump near the knee. No medication as off now. Is taking MRI scan really requids?

I have a weird bony lump that has appeared on the inside of my left knee three days ago. It is only painful when touched or when I lean on it at night in bed. I went to the doctor yesterday who didnt know what it is, but said it appeared to be along the miniscus/patella tendon line and has asked me to get an MRI scan to determine what it is. The MRI scan is going to cost me $200 though, so am wondering if it is worth worrying about and getting the MRI done (its a lot of money if it turns out to be nothing), or is it just one of those things that happens to the body sometimes.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013