Have lump in groin area. Advised to take CT scan as it could be hernia. Is the test harmful?

My name is Brian and last week I started having pain in my groin area which has turned into a lump. It was small to start and has grown in size and is very painful to touch. I do strain when having BM so I thought it could be a hernia. I went to the hernia doctor today and he said. He wasn't sure if it was a hernia or not because the lump was really hard. He wants me to get a ct scan on Tuesday but I worry about all of the radiation associated with this test. Should I be worried that this is some form of cancer.
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013