Have lower back pain, numbness in thigh, leg pain. MRI shows facet arthrosis. Meaning?

I have been previously diagnosed with DJD, IVDS, Sciatica in left lower extremity. I have chronic lower back pain, numbness on my front left thigh, sharp shooting pains in my left leg to my foot, sharp shooting pain in my left buttock. I have more recently been having the same type shooting pains in my right leg, although not as intense as in the left, and more severe pain in my lower back.
I had a recent MRI that showed...
Alignment of lumbar spine, height, an signal intensity of vertebral bodies is maintained. Disk space narrowing with hypointense T2 signal is present at L5-S1 level. Conus medullaris ends at L1-L2 level. No mass or abnormal signal intensity within conus medullaris is seen.
-- At L3-L4 level no bulging disk, foraminal or central spinal stenosis.
-- At L4-L5 level an asymetric bulging disk, to the right, is noted. There is an abutment upon the root of the right L4 nerve. Mild arthrosis is noted.
-- At L5-S1 level focal central broad-based disk protrusion is seen with slight compression upon the anterior thecal sac. There is an abutment upon the roots of right S1 nerve. There is also close proximity/an abutment upon the roots of L5 nerve. There are short pedicles with lateral orientation. Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints is seen.
1. Focal central disk protrusion at L5-S1 level with compression upon the roots of S1 nerve and abutment of roots of L5 nerve.
2. Short pedicles indicative of congenital spinal stenosis.
3. Multilevel facet arthrosis.

Can someone help explain in lay terms the MRI results? Do the findings line up with my previous diagnoses and do they explain the more recent pains in my right leg? Thanks for your input.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
The findings of your MRI are consistent with a degenerative disc disease with the nerve root compression at the level of lower spine., The symptoms that you have described are related to these findings.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
You MRI findings are suggestive of degenerative disc disease with Prolapsed disc at L5-S1 level compressing L5 and S1 nerve roots. These findings are consistent with radiation of pain in distribution of that nerve root.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.