Have lower back pain. Spine MRI shows Decreased hydration diffused herniation. Recommendations?

I have lower back pain followed by a severe pull from the right buttocks till the ankle bone like an electric shock. unable to walk or lie down. Sitting is better. Took MRI of Spine. It says : Decreased hydration diffused herniation of l5-s1 intervetebral discs with mild indentation of central canal, lateral recesses and intervetebral neural formina with no neural impingement of traversing neural fibers". My neurologist said to take rest and nothing serious now. Gave gabapentin tablets for 10 days. But im unable to bear the pull down the leg and painful n sleepless. I tried wearing a lumbar belt and its better with it.. Should i do anything else to cure my back. Can i continue wearing the belt or go for any surgery or physiotherapy. Pls help
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013