Have ligament tear. Done surgery on tibia. How important is ligament tear surgery?

Hi, I met with accident two years ago, I had a surgery on my right tibia bone, I had a plate and 7 screws plugged on my leg for a year and last year I got them removed as my bone has set completely, However my doctor suggested to under go another surgery for my ligment tear. Post which I was expecting and delivered a baby this year, Please advise how important is to get the surgery done for my ligment tear? cant it be cured by regular excercise? If yes please advise what is the best way? Now I have put on enough weight, would it be possible for me to go gym and work out and run on threadmill? Your quick response in this matter is very much appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012