Have itching along with insomnia. Have been taking promethazine. How to get rid of this?

Hi, I've been on Promethazine (prescribed for insomnia) for a few years, I keep trying to come off it, reducing dose gradually but get to 25mg and get this horrendous itching, almost as if my blood is itching, no skin symptoms and scratching doesn't relieve it, even my eyes feel itchy. have had some tests liver etc ok and my gp doesn't think it is to do with promethazine withdrawl but it seems to be a clear link to me and the itching only starts when I get below 25mg
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013