Have increased flow, after missed period. Advised prenatal vitamins, pregnancy test. What is it?

Hi. Well I got my cycle on the 1st of April and it's suppose to end the 5th or 6th but I'm still bleeding. Well it would go away and than come back or it would be light pink, or a dark red with some clotting little pieces. I'm scared. Today my doctor office called me back and told me to start taking prenatal vitamins and to come in, in about a couple weeks for a blood pregnancy test. I'm not sure what's going on. I also didn't get a period at all in February. Than I got it on the first of March until the 6th and that's a normal cycle for me. I just need to know what's going on with my body.
Sorry for saying march in the search bar. Meant this month.
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013